BBS In The Community
Health & Medical Answers
Practical Information About the Coronavirus
Members have been looking for answers and practical medical and health information about the Coronavirus.
BBS President Charles Cockerton, Director Arif Damji, and Executive Director Jenn Baker were fortunate enough to sit down for a frank conversation about the Coronavirus with Los Angeles based British doctor, Dr. David Warburton, OBE, DSc, MD, MMM, FRCP, FRCS, FRCPCH. As the news and day to day updates on the status of the virus evolve, we thought our members would find a practical conversation about the virus to be useful and informative.
Dr. Warburton shared these top tips to follow:
- Covid-19 is spread by respiratory droplets so stopping these tiny droplets from getting in your nose, eyes or mouth is paramount.
- Droplets can only jump or be carried in the air and, because of this, everyone needs to practice social distancing.
- Wash your hands and sanitize surfaces to stop the droplets from spreading.
- Wear a clean, dry cloth mask or face covering so that droplets can’t get from you to others and vice versa.
BBS Coronavirus Relief Program
The Relief Committee continues to receive almost daily requests for assistance from British citizens.
This week, we thought we would share snippets of some of the thank you notes that we have received:
- ‘Once more, my deepest gratitude. It’s just incredible that you are out there doing this and truly, that help has made the difference between hanging on, or packing it in.’ -A.C.
- ‘I’m absolutely stunned and over the moon, thank you so very much. You have no idea what this means to us, truly. We can literally stop panicking for a while until we hopefully get back to work. ‘ -A.M.
- ‘This relief has helped more than I can say. I’ve been able to make a clear promise to my landlord because of it. Much love, gratitude and warmest wishes to you, and everyone looking to help those finding these times tough.’ – G.K.
The BBS have provided 23 Relief Grants of $1,500 in addition to the standard relief requests that have been approved. Since March, more than $55,000 in aid has been provided throughout the Western United States to British citizens in need.
Congratulations Tim Dawkins!
Solo Marathon in Aid of the BBS
A massive congratulations to BBS member Tim Dawkins for not only completing a solo marathon over the weekend but exceeding his race time AND raising more than $700 for the British Benevolent Society! From everyone at the BBS, thank you Tim! Your wonderful example, contribution and raising awareness of the charity is greatly appreciated.
And for those of you interested in additional details, we are very pleased to share photos of the route and some pics along the way!
Charitable Donations to the BBS
As the BBS continues to fulfill its mission of providing aid and relief to British citizens in need, we also ask that – when possible- supporters consider making a donation. As always, any donation and membership to the BBS is considered a charitable donation.
We are pleased to announce that we now offer members the opportunity to match their donations through their employer. Many business offer matching programs where your donation can be doubled! Find out more on our donations page.
English Football is Back & You Can Watch
During this time, all donations directly help those impacted by the global Coronavirus pandemic.
For those of you who were not aware, English Football has restarted! Business partner BritEvents North West has shared these tips, tricks and suggestions for those of us who continue to spend more time at home than usual.
How to Watch
Most games are on either NBC or NBC Sports channels. Also check out Peacock, NBC’s new streaming channel. Check your TV provider listings.
How to Track Live
Check out the free mobile ‘Live Score’ app! This free app has minimal banner ads and you can set it up so that you can mark your favourite games and receive push notifications of goals as they happen. The app tracks all professional football around the world, at every tier. Make Football your ‘favourite sport’ in the settings tab and the Premier League a Faavorites League in the Favorites Tab, otherwise you might have to scroll through a number of teams to find what you are looking for.
Big thank you to Steve Caldwell of BritEvents North West for sharing!
"We had a wonderful time at the AGM! It was so nice to see friends and catch up on BBS events and relief cases."