Easter Swiss Roll Recipe
Easter Swiss Roll Recipe– from 1st BBS Great British Bake Off
To Make Sponge Cake: Serves 10 – 12 slices
Line baking sheet with sides with parchment paper – spray baking sheet first
Tea towel – sift with powdered sugar
- 160 grams flour
- 160 grams sugar (superfine would be good too)
- 4 eggs + 1 yolk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- Lemon Curd
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
Sift flour with 1 teaspoon Baking Powder & ¼ teaspoons salt – set aside
In kitchen mixer beat eggs with sugar, pinch of salt on high with whisk attachment about 7-8 minutes until very pale color and very thick. Add 2 Tablespoons water and beat a bit more
Remove bowl and carefully fold in zest and flour mixture with large metal spoon
Pour into baking pan and spread evenly.
Bake 7-9 minutes – DO NOT OVER BAKE
Immediately flip onto tea towel and work quickly to remove parchment (some of the sponge may stick to the paper)
Roll sponge in the tea towel tight and sit on wire rack until completely cool
**** You need to work very quickly so the tea towel doesn’t absorb too much moisture from the warm sponge which will make your roll soggy.
Once cake completely cool, remove tea towel and fill with your favorite lemon curd and whip cream
- Stiffly beat 1 ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- Slather on a good amount of lemon curd on sponge first, and then whipped cream
- Roll and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Garnish cake with powdered sugar, lemon slices and some flowers from your yard!
- Sponge Roll can be made up to 4 hours before serving
***Note – Do Ahead — after sponge has completely cooled in the tea towel, remove roll and wrap in parchment paper and then foil to freeze. Unthaw roll 2 hours to room temperature and then fill the roll.
"We had a wonderful time at the AGM! It was so nice to see friends and catch up on BBS events and relief cases."